We are looking for high school sophomores and juniors who want to become a teacher one day.
You are an ideal fight club member if most of the following apply to you:
- You are passionate about helping others and uplifting community
- You like to play and spend time with young people
- You are motivated to disrupt the status quo of our country and be a change maker
- You are interested in connecting with like-minded people
- You are up for a one-week summer adventure
Preference will be given the students who have completed their sophomore and junior year at the following Dallas ISD high schools: Sunset, Bryan Adams, WT White, Samuell, Adamson, and, Molina
The Emerging Teacher Fight Club is a learning journey revolving around four key questions:
- Who am I as a fighter?
- Why fight for well-being?
- How do I fight when things get tough?
- What future is our community fighting for?
Base camp is UNT Dallas with two days at sites around the city.
Free. All expenses included.
This is a youth leadership development experience hosted by the School of Education at UNT Dallas for future teachers and co-sponsored by Ashoka, a global organization on the forefront of a movement supporting young people as changemakers around the world. Participants will leave transformed in how they see themselves and the world. They will leave with new friendships among their peer group, mentors from the UNT Dallas community, and a connection to a global community of changemakers.
How do I apply?
Create something (as in, anything that can be seen or heard - like a story, collage, poem, performance, sculpture, or essay) that answers the following questions:
- What makes you a fighter?
- What are you fighting for or against?
- What do you hope to get from a Fight Club?
Complete the following two forms with your parent or guardian.
Email everything to EmergingTeacherInstitute@untdallas.edu
What can I expect?
May 31 | Application Closes
June 7 | Fight Club Members Notified
June 14 | Fight Club Members Confirm Attendance
28 June | Pre-Fight Club Communication
16 July | First Day!
1. Who is hosting this Emerging Teacher Fight Club?
Staff and Faculty from the School of Education at UNT Dallas have designed the learning experiences in partnership with community members. School of Education Faculty and Staff are responsible for the planning and execution of the week.
2. Who is staffing the camp?
The staff member to student ratio will be at least 1:10. We are recruiting Dallas ISD high school teachers and UNT Dallas students as staff. All staff will have a background check on file and evidence of training.
3. When will off-site locations be confirmed?
We will confirm all off-site locations in the pre-camp communication going out on June 28th.
4. How will students be transported?
We will utilize a bus company with professional bus drivers to transport students to different sites.
5. Will there actually be fighting?
No. The "fight club" is a metaphor for advocacy and leadership around human well-being.